Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Faith is Not a Talisman


As usual, I began the day with sipping on a huge mug of espresso and watching ESPN. When I turned the TV on an interview was already in progress. It was with an 18 year-old young man from the US playing professional basketball for an Israeli team. Not sure what happened: maybe he couldn’t get into a college in the US or he figured he wasn’t going to learn anything anyway so why not go gain some experience playing as a pro. I dunno. Anyway—

The interviewer asked the young man if, living in Israel, he ever felt anxious about his security. No, he replied. Why? Because, he said, I am walking where Jesus walked.

Not any safer place to be.

No siree.

In all respect to the young man’s devotion, I wonder if it has occurred to him that Jesus was crucified in Israel. And what about all those martyred Apostles? Evidently God’s plans don’t always include health, wealth and Michael Jordan-esque stats, eh?

Faith is not a talisman. Faith is not about trusting that I will not get hurt or whatever. Faith is about trusting in God for his best … knowing that sometimes what's best is for me to “fall” or “fail.”

Copyright, Monte E Wilson, 2009

No comments: