Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Provocative Quotes From George MacDonald


I have never concealed the fact that I regarded him (Geo MacDonald) as my master; indeed I fancy I have never written a book in which I did not quote from him.
-- CS Lewis

Man is not made for justice from his fellow, but for love, which is greater than justice, and by including supersedes justice. Mere justice is an impossibility, a fiction of analysis … Justice to be justice must be much more than justice. Love is the law of our condition, without which we can no more render justice than a man can keep a straight line, walking in the dark.


Because we so easily imagine ourselves in want, we imagine God ready to forsake us.

Anything large enough for a wish to light upon, is large enough to hang a prayer upon: the thought of Him to whom that prayer goes will purify and correct the desire.

Low-sunk life imagines itself weary of life, but it is death, not life, it is weary of.

I learned that it was not myself but only my shadow that I had lost. I learned that it is better ... for a proud man to fall and be humbled than to hold up his head in pride and fancied innocence. I learned that he that will be a hero, will barely be a man; that he that will be nothing but a doer of his work, is sure of his manhood.

No comments: