Wednesday, February 27, 2008

William F. Buckley, Jr 1925-2008


Before there was Ronald Reagan there was Barry Goldwater, before there was Goldwater there was National Review, and before there was National Review there was William F. Buckley.
George Will

I just read where Bill Buckley died. How very sad for his family, friends, and all those who, like me, owe much of their understanding of Conservatism to William F Buckley.

What a remarkable man: devout Christian, philosopher, magazine founder (National Review), host of the successful television show Firing Line, spy (briefly) for CIA, author of fiction (great spy novels) and non-fiction, syndicated columnist, classical pianist, mayoral candidate, yachtsman, bon vivant, husband to Pat, and father of the man who wrote, Thank You For Not Smoking, one of the greatest satires of the last 20 years, Christopher Buckley.

Two things stand out in my mind regarding this remarkable man: The breadth, depth and duration of his friendships, and his magnanimity and wit while debating with men and women who differed with him regarding his faith, beliefs, and philosophy.

I always admired the fact that some of his closest friends were men and women who were on the opposite end of the political spectrum. Buckley loved being challenged, loved the back and forth of passionate, intellectual debate, and admired people who were both studied and genuine in their beliefs. For him, differing — even opposing — ideas didn’t make the person evil or bad … only misguided!

When I was young, I loved watching him interview people on his television show, Firing Line. I was always amazed at how dispassionately but humorously he could dissect his guests positions … all the while leaving them feeling respected, and, quite often, laughing along with every one else at his barbs.

Twenty years ago, I wrote this gentleman a note of appreciation for his influence in my life. It took me days to write one paragraph. Less than one month later, I received a handwritten note, thanking me for my kind words.
I later learned that he took the time to answer hundreds of nobodies such as myself. As Samuel Johnson said, The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

I do not believe I will ever see his kind again in my lifetime, and feel greatly honored to have been in the world at the same time as he.

For tributes far more eloquent and worthy of the man, you can read here

Copyright, 2008, Monte E Wilson