Saturday, February 2, 2008

Where the Streets Have No Name, Super Bowl 2002


One of the greatest half-time shows--if not the greatest--in Super Bowl history. U2 paying tribute to victims of 9/11

Background of lyrics:

"I was trying to sketch a feeling. I often feel very claustrophobic in a city, a feeling of wanting to break out of that city and a feeling of wanting to go somewhere where the values of the city and the values of our society don’t hold you down."

"An interesting story that someone told me once is that in Belfast, by what street someone lives on you can tell not only their religion but tell how much money they’re making - literally by which side of the road they live on, because the further up the hill the more expensive the houses become."

"That said something to me, and so I started writing about a place 'where the streets have no name.'”


Bono, from Propaganda 5, 1987