Friday, December 10, 2010

Memory Lane


While looking under my bed for a dropped pen, I discovered some CDs I had forgotten even existed. As I was about to run some errands, I grabbed one put it in my car’s CD player and took off.


Here come old flattop he come grooving up slowly

He got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller …


The Beatles and Abbey Road: Man, did that bring back memories.


Almost 30 years ago, I was in England taking exams to see if I could qualify to study for a degree from Cambridge. There was a break between written exams and I was sitting around with a few of the professors.


Prof: So, Monte, if you knew you were going to be stranded on an island for years and years what 2 albums would you like to have with you?


M3: Wow … that means there would be electricity! (No laughter.) Okay. Two albums ... hmmmmm … Beethoven’s 9th and Abbey Road.


Prof: (Gulping) Abbey Road?


M3: I love it. It brings back great memories.


Prof: (Raised eyebrows) I found some of the lyrics a bit cheeky.


M3: Cheeky?


Prof: Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl

Someday I'm going to make her mine??????


M3: So you HAVE listened to it?!?!?


When we went back to exams, he told me that the conversation was also part of the interview.


Yes, I was accepted but never attended.


The next day, after walking around London for 10 hours, I went back to my hotel room and who was being interviewed on BBC TV? Paul McCartney! An obvious sign from heaven.


What two albums/CDs would you choose?


Copyright, Monte E Wilson, 2010

10 comments:

Camille said...

Beethoven's 7th (the Allegretto is mine, mine, mine) and a CD I got for my birthday called "Opera A-Z."

Monte Wilson said...

Did you also get the humongous book that goes with "A to Z"?

Anonymous said...

Bach's Mass in B Minor.

Would you choose today the same CDs you did 30 years ago?

Monte Wilson said...

I stand by Beethoven, but would probably replace the Beatles with Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence

Anonymous said...

Pink Floyd's The Wall and John Mayer's Room for Squares.

Monte Wilson said...

The Wall. Classic!

Anonymous said...

The Jungle Book (1967) and The Verve's Urban Hymns

Anonymous said...

Two more questions. Movies and Books? Two each.

Anonymous said...

Two more questions. Two Books and Two Movies?

Monte Wilson said...

Actually, Cambridge Prof did ask me about books I would choose. Lord of Rings and Works of Tennyson were my choices ... would make same choice today.

Movies. Context is important here. You are trapped on an Island so need something uplifting ... hopeful ... Probably would choose Hank's CAST AWAY and ... what? I think something funny would be good. I probably would choose something reminded me of my children. PRINCESS BRIDE comes to mind.

"Aaaaaaas youuuuuuuu wiiiiiish ...." /

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." /

Vizzini: I'm afraid so. I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.

Dread Pirate Roberts (Wesley): You're that smart?

Vizzini: Let me put it this way: have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Dread Pirate Roberts: Yes.

Vizzini: Morons./

Combination of laughter and feeling close to children would, I think, be magical in that situation