Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving


I am thankful to be above ground and healthy.

I am thankful for second chances.

I am thankful for each of my five children and six grandchildren.

I am thankful for my three—soon to be four—son-in-laws.

I am thankful for my brothers and sister.

I am thankful for the love and care of my friends, past and present.

I am thankful for the teachers and mentors who took the time to instruct and guide me.

I am thankful for all of the beauty God packed into creation.

I am thankful for the charities that I serve.

I am thankful to be living in the most generous and charitable nation in history.

I am thankful for a life that has allowed me to travel around the world.

I am thankful for air conditioning, computers, mobile phones, and airplanes.

I am thankful for stuffed-mushrooms, fine wines, Single-Malt Scotch and bodacious cigars.

I am thankful for libraries, bookstores, and art museums.

I am thankful for living in the US, for the wisdom and courage of our nation’s Forefathers, and for the men and women of our military who defend our freedoms.

I am thankful for the entrepreneurs who made and make the US the most prosperous nation in history.

I am thankful for the love, grace, and mercy of God. +

Giving thanks reminds me that all that I am and all that I have is because of others.

Giving thanks is giving honor to whom honor is due.

Giving thanks keeps self-pity, discouragement, and melancholy at bay.

Giving thanks (up-close and personal) encourages others. “You matter. Your contribution makes a difference. I see what you have done, who you are, and am grateful.”

Giving thanks reminds me to be a good steward of gifts received.

Giving thanks motivates me to be the kind of person for whom others can be grateful.

Copyright, Monte E Wilson, 2010

1 comment:

Camille said...

I am thankful for having you as a friend and a mentor. I am thankful for the positive influence you have had on my entire family. I am thankful for the very human man you are and the very godly man you strive to be. I am thankful for you, M3.