Thursday, June 18, 2009

Freedom v Tyranny


Recently, in a discussion with a gentleman who is not from the US, he asked me why freedom was so important to Americans. (I am not convinced this is the case.) After agreeing with my assertion that freedom was better than tyranny, he suggested that people in Muslim nations do not experience their governments as “tyrannical.” I wondered if the women who were beaten for showing an ankle or stoned to death for being alone with a man that was not her husband would agree with this.


Watching the demonstrations in Iran tells me that these young people do, in fact, experience the Iranian Government as “tyrannical” and desperately want more freedoms.

I do pray for these people. I also pray that leaders of free nations everywhere will speak up for freedom and, at the very least, publicly affirm that liberty is every man and woman’s God-given birthright.


Copyright, Monte E Wilson, 2009

No comments: