Tuesday, February 3, 2009

To Emote or Not to Emote


For the warrior of light,
there is no such thing as an impossible love.
He is not intimidated by silence,
indifference or rejection.
He knows that, behind the mask of ice
that people wear, there beats a heart of fire.
Without love, he is nothing.
Paul Coelho, The Manual of the Warrior of Light

If we listen to our intellect, we would never have a love affair. We would never have a friendship. We’d never go into business, because we’d be too cynical. Well that’s nonsense. You’ve got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down. Annie Dillard, poet


While contemplating the above quotes I began thinking about the idea that some people are emotional and others are not, some people cast off all controls and let ‘er rip, while others remain all buttoned up and safe, and that both are particular personality types with unique ontologies that cannot be changed.

I am an emotional person. By this I mean that I feel things in a Big Way. I rarely have any middling emotions: they are all incredibly intense and deeply passionate. I spent most of my life seeking to hold these emotions at bay, to subdue them, and, sometimes, (more like most-of-the-time) even to deny them. As they were usually so damn intense, they scared me to pieces! The problem, of course, is that I cannot learn to appropriately manage my emotions if I don’t first acknowledge and accept their presence.

Anyway, I can’t even begin to count the times I have heard people say, “Well, I am simply not that way.” The typical idea here is that some people are emotional and some people are not: some people are swirling pools of Emotional Highs and Lows, while others are more cerebral by nature. But I have an idea that, while there is some truth to this difference in personality-types, all humans actually are quite “emotional.”

Even the most Stoical person usually experiences great emotions when they fall in love, do they not? And although this experience may be masked by icy composure, deep within the emotions are on fire. The question I have is, Why the composure? Why not let the fire blaze? Why not allow others to see and feel the blaze?

I often think of all this when I am attending a church worship service where everyone is so controlled, their emotions all buttoned-down and managed, sounding as if they didn’t actually believe a word they were singing. Reminds of me of another quote by Dillard:

“On the whole, I do not find Christians, outside of the catacombs, sufficiently sensible of conditions. Does anyone have the foggiest idea of what sort of power we so blithely invoke? Or, as I suspect, does no one believe a word of it? The churches are children playing on the floor with their chemistry sets, mixing up a batch of TNT to kill a Sunday morning. It is madness to wear ladies’ straw hats and velvet hats to church; we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews. For the sleeping god may wake some day and take offense, or the waking god may draw us out to where we can never return.” Teaching a Stone to Talk

Here we are standing in the presence of Almighty God the Creator and Savior of the world, responding as if we were merely attending a mundane lecture on how to make mashed potatoes. Exactly how is this an appropriate emotional response to what actually is occurring?

I think part of the challenge for some people is simply (I do not say “simplistically”) a case of being uncomfortable with displays of emotions of any kind. Here it is a matter of learning to be comfortable, of maturing in Emotional Intelligence.

Another challenge for some people is that sense of ”losing control.” “What if I say the wrong thing?” “What if I appear foolish?” “What if my emotions are not met with approval or acceptance?” And so forth. Far wiser to suppress the feelings than to be, do or say something “wrong.”

Yes, yes, I know that emotions as I am describing ebb and flow, and cannot be the sole basis for behavioral choices and decision-making. Yet why is it that, for so many people, this is the first thing that comes to mind? Why is the first thought about control or about downplaying the significance of our emotional responses? This is not a rhetorical question, but an honest one for some of you to reflect upon.

For you whom are followers of Christ, consider the fruit of the Holy Spirit’s work within you. Let’s take peace and joy. Are these not psychological states, particular emotional responses to life, people, events and circumstances rooted in your faith regarding the Sovereign and Good of God? Ask yourself this: do you want a little bit of joy, or to be overflowing with joy? Do you want a small measure of peace or a peace that passes understanding?

Making promises and keeping them, regardless of passing emotions, are one of the marks of a mature character, sure enough. Yet it intrigues me that so many people’s lives are defined solely by Will Power, rarely experiencing the joy and pleasure of the process of committing. What does it say, for example, of our committing to Christ, when we fail to en-joy the process? Again, I acknowledge that our promise is what holds us steady when we fail to “feel” like being a faithful follower, yet if we rarely (if ever) experience joy or his promise of the Abundant Life, what is this communicating to us about the state of our faith, the state of our ongoing relationship with him? And, changing contexts, what does it say about our commitment to living life to the fullest when we experience so little of what is available to us? Or should I be asking whether or not you are committed to living life to the fullest?

For many people the lack of emotional experiences is not so much due to a particular temperament, but to a desire to protect oneself. They intuitively understand that if they are vulnerable to love, they are vulnerable to pain; that if they are open to joy, they are also opened to sadness; that if they “lose control,” they lose the ability to protect themselves from unwanted emotions. They are correct of course; yet living this way robs them of the life and love hey were created to experience, and arrests their growth as a fully functioning human being.

Given our God-created capacity for giving and receiving love, for experiencing joy and peace, regardless of circumstances, why settle for a “controlled” love for God and others, or for a “managed” joy, or a mere pittance of peace? Standing on a cliff where we perpetually consider the risks, calculate the potential costs, and ruminate over what-could-go-wrong is no way to go through life and all that it has to offer. At least not if you wish to find love, joy, peace and the fullness of all that life has to offer.

I am with Annie Dillard here: the only way to experience the fullness of all that life has to offer is to jump off the cliff and build wings on your way down.

Copyright, Monte E Wilson, 2009

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Standing on a cliff where we perpetually consider the risks, calculate the potential costs, and ruminate over what-could-go-wrong is no way to go through life and all that it has to offer."

why not? I feel quite comfortable going through life this way and manage to find more love and joy than a lot of people I know. I definitely see your point but I just disagree that this is "no way to go through life"

Monte Wilson said...

Well, certainly it is A way to go through life: a choice that many, many people make every day. I am wondering, however, what God may think about such a choice. Think about Jesus' Parable of The Talents and how "the master" returned expecting a return on his investment. He wasn't too happy with the man who buried his talent, was he. I think we can expect the same response when, after gifting us humans with an incredible capacity for living life, for experiencing all that can be experienced via our five senses, and etc., and, instead of utilizing this gift to the fullest, we decide it is safer to bury a portion or all of that gift. Just something to consider.

Anonymous said...

Why would God have a problem with that choice? He is the one who creates us with different personalities. I guess I see these as personality differences. Some people jump up on Oprah's couch when they're in love and others float blissfully along without making spectacles of themselves.

I guess I am seeing this as being similar to the introvert/extrovert argument... why do extroverts want to "heal" introverts??
It isn't wrong to want to build your wings *before* jumping off the cliff. Furthermore why can't people experience life with all five senses without allowing others to see and feel the blaze.

Just some thoughts - from someone who has been criticized for an apparent lack of emotion by people that love to emote.

Monte Wilson said...

As an extreme introvert--according to one psychologist, the most extreme he had ever met--I understand the discomfort of having people want you to engage in an extreme personality make-over. That is NOT what I was writing about or suggesting. Your experience of life--however full and intense, limited or controlled--will be expressed through your unique personality.

Nat & Annie said...

Wow, u two should debate publicly;) That was nice Monte.

Anonymous said...

I believe it is all based upon what side of the brain is working and exercised. Some have one side exercised more than others just like left handed and right handed folks. I am left handed ... but I throw the ball right handed because my brother taught me that it was better to be that way. After all he was my big brother and tossed the ball much better. As a left hander I use the right side of my brain more than the left and I am very passionate about most things I do. Since I believe Jesus was perfect theology I believe he used both side of his brain equally and to the fullest. We miss out by only flocking with those who use the same side of the brains we do. I believe the right side of the brain is the one that is spiritual and where the Holy Spirit can show you all kinds of things. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind is how the bible puts it. It was the mind that believed the lie that brought us to the tree that brought us down as a race. The mind is very powerful. They believe if they ate the fruit they would be like God when they already were! What would happen if we believed what God says that we are?

Monte Wilson said...

I am not writing about personality types or which side of the brain you are using but about a commitment to embracing life ... living it to the fullest. This can be done by introverts and extroverts, artists and scientists.

Anonymous said...

ok, so you have two separate anon commenters -I am the first one - My name is Joanie and I only checked anon since you don't know me (found you by googling some theo. questions) Just wanted to clarify (and in the future I'll just write my name!)

Monte Wilson said...

Virtual Greetings, Joanie!

Monte Wilson said...

Toni, For some reason your comment did not show up here when posted-- but I received it in email. Glad you enjoyed "To Emote ..." and the video Validation. I think most people long for someone to truly See Them, acknowledging their worth as a human being.